AGRILEDGER is looking for a skilled, creative, and passionate Senior Android Developer Rockstar to work as a 100% remote worker on a once-in-a-lifetime Philanthropic/Humanitarian project that will positively and dramatically affect millions of peoples lives in the worlds poorest farming communities.
Looking are getting involved in something that has REAL MEANING that MAKES A DIFFERENCE and has a LONG TERM outlook? If so then please read on.
AGRILEDGER is an exciting and important global Startup thats focused on reducing poverty and enabling financial inclusion for the 500 million poorest farmers in developing countries.
Currently these 500 million small farmers account for 80% of the food production in their countries, yet 1 in 4 goes to bed hungry. They also have little or no access to market/pricing data, banking, insurance, finance, or a reliable supply of quality fertilisers and other critical resources. Over 50% of the food harvested in Africa is wasted.
See this PDF summary of the problem and our solution.
AGRILEDGER initiatives are supported by leading philanthropic charities like the Bill Gates Foundation, Asian Development Bank, World Bank and others.
AGRILEDGER are building a groundbreaking Software Solution for these 500 million farmers using a Blockchain-based CryptoLedger implemented as a Mobile App and REST Web Services infrastructure, with a specially designed mobile UI suitable for low literacy/illiterate users, and suitable for use across different cultures and countries.
As most of the target user demographic are illiterate they have never used a Smart Phone, and only some have old style flip phones, so a Material Design / WhatsApp UI will not work. We are also interviewing UI/UX experts to work on the UI so if you know an amazing UI designer please ask them to make contact.
We need to build 2 different Android products;
PoC MVP App - a QUICK and simple proof-of-concept minimum-viable-product App that will be used to test UI concepts in the field and as a test harness to call the REST Web Services to resolve basic design problems like low latency/low bandwidth/dropped connections etc
Main App - a well architected, modularly coded app container/framework that will host all versions of the App as defined in the Product Roadmap, forming the core code base.
There are some difficult design issues we need to solve, including:
- abillity to handle low latency, low bandwidth, patchy network connections common in these countries
- an on-demand pluggable code architecture for the different workflows needed in each location
- offline cached mode allowing disconnected use and auto re-sync when network becomes available
- secure owner/identity management for each phone using private/public keys linked to phone hardware
- secure and reliable access to the published web services
Currently there are 3 PoC underway in Kenya, Myanmar and Papua New Guinea, and the PoC MVP app will be used in all 3 locations, and this is needed URGENTLY.
We urgently need an Android Developer/Architect Rockstar to build the 2 Android Apps.
• Take full responsible for the application architecture and development of both the PoC/MVP demo app and the main Product app.
• Design and develop a large-scale, visually appealing, scalable, resilient, modular Android application capable of supporting a pluggable code architecture, low latency/bandwidth and offline cached operation
• work effectively with UX/UI person to design and implement a UI suitable for low literacy, cross cultural use
• Use best practices to minimize impacts to user experience, such as battery drain, ANRs, laggy UI, etc.
• Work effectively with business owners to understand requirements, gain deep understanding of use cases and business needs, and translate into effective application design and implementation.
• Design, develop and manage automated unit and acceptance tests
• Play a key role in product development and help shape direction of our feature set
• Take technical responsibility of Application architecture and development from inception to production
• Collaborate with the platform engineering team to help refine the REST APIs used by backend
• Review and evaluate designs and make recommendations for improvement.
• 5+ years of hands-on software development experience with a variety of tools and technologies
• 3+ years in native Android applications development using Android Studio / SDK
• 2+ years in a senior developer, architect or technical leadership role in software development
• a Degree is not mandatory but evidence of dedication and seeing projects to completion is
Skills & Experience
• Experience with integrating to backend using SOAP/ REST web services and JSON/XML
• Experience with pluggable code architectures using Android Interface Definition Language (AIDL)
• Experience with building for offline/cached mode and the ability to re-sync when network available
• Experience with multi-threading and thread management
• Able to design for optimal performance/responsiveness and dynamically adjust for current resources
• Ability to design for scalability (to millions) and resilience (low latency, low bandwidth, patchy connectivity)
• Strong focus on architecture, refactoring and code quality
• Good Unit Testing and Integration Testing practices
• Solid Experience with Git/SVN/TFS
• Experience with software development best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations.
• experience working within an Agile/Scrum team (sprint planning, standups, etc.)
• proven track record of delivering successfully within aggressive timelines.
• passion and commitment for building software that goes beyond just doing the job
• able to work remotely with minimal supervision using leading collaberation tools
• good team player with strong communication skills
• ability to work on multiple product initiatives at once
• strong desire to work on projects that make a difference via positive change to disadvantaged people.
• some previous involvement with charity or humanitarian work
• ... OR some previous substantial involvement with Open Source contributions.
• friendly personality and positive outlook
We are not just looking for someone that can do the work, we are looking for someone to JOIN THE CAUSE, someone thats passionate, dedicated, and really wants to become part of Agriledger Team, currently consisting of 35 people from all over the globe.
HOW TO WORK WITH AGRILEDGER
Agriledger are finalists in several Hackathons, and also have the support of The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Asia Development Bank and others major organisations; there will therefore be a lot of high profile press, possibly awards for humanitarian achievement, and will be a very valuable addition to any Resume/CV or Portfolio.
We are wanting to find several Android Rockstars that see the long term value in working with us and wants to offer themselves as a reduced cost for a fixed period with a view to being engaged on a permanent basis in the near future. If we can’t find suitable people on this basis thats ok, as we still need this work done, however strong preference will be given to qualified applicants that are willing to help keep our costs down.
There are 3 ways to apply for these roles:
1. offering your services for free for an specific/interim period (1-3 months)
2. offering your services at a discounted rate for an specific/interim period (1-3 months)
3. offering your services at your full rate from the start.
Please be sure to advise on which basis you wish to apply.
Note that this is 100% remote work as we use a Distributed Development Model, using the leading collaboration tools like Trello, Office 365, Dropbox, Skype and others.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via email (not with attached cover letter) including:
- why you want to get involved in this project and become part of the Agriledger team
- mention of your relevant experience with any of the requirements above
- provide links to your online Resume/CV or Portfolio
- provide links to your active online presence on Forums, OSS communities or other relevant places
- if you are applying on the basis of a volunteer, reduced cost or full cost
Please apply via email with all of the information above to:
This Job Desc is long ON PURPOSE, as a filter for people just looking for the next quick buck. This opportunity with Agriledger is more than just a job, as we are looking for very special people with the right attitude and values to join our team.
*** Note that anything resembling a Form/Template Reply will be immediately deleted