A web framework can be described as a software framework the helps programmers build web services, web resources and web APIs. There are many frameoworks available for PHP. In this blog, we will discuss what PHP frameworks are and how they differ from each other.
Here's All You Need to Know about Web Frameworks and Distinction between Them
Difference between Full-Stack Framework and Micro Framework
1) Micro Framework is all about speed. Micro Framework is the framework which can handle more requests and take less time to respond where as Full-Stack Framework is all about implementing whole website and its take more time as compare to Micro Framework.
Sample Architecture of Full-Stack framework is as follow:
Image Source: https://www.quora.com/
where as Sample Architecture of Micro framework is as follow:
Image Source: https://www.quora.com/
3) Laravel and CakePhp are few example of Full-Stack framework and Lumen and slim are the few example of Micro framework.
4) A Full-stack framework is the framework which will use all the component and Html DOM along with database & ORM to build a website .It will use all components which is helpful to integrate new features where as A micro framework is the framework that use only those component which is necessary to build a website such as routing and logging. it may be specifically designed for building the API for another service and application.
5) A Full-stack framework is used for large application where as for API works or for small application we will use Micro framework.
6) If we compare them in terms of efficiency and speed we found that Full-stack framework is not much fast where as Micro framework is very fast and efficient for building an application.
Lets see The Top PHP Full-Stack and Micro Frameworks.
Top 5 Full-Stack PHP Framework
Laravel: To trounce the flaws of Codigniter framework Taylor Orwell Developed Laravel in year 2011, Now out of all PHP Frameworks, today's time Laravel has become one of the top most used PHP framework which a feature of supportive community and luge tutorial support It is also a free and open sources framework.
CakePHP: Developed in year 2005, April CakePHP is the top leading framework till now which is not only an open source and free but also comes up with many features like Robust Plugins by which the reusability of code become more easy.
Zend Framework: Implemented in PHP 5,Zend Framework is an open source and free but also an object oriented web framework. It also provides MVC and Front Controller solution support to it's users. For more see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zend_Framework
Phalcon: Developed in C language and debuted in year 2012, Phalcon is Full Stack, High performance and open-source PHP framefork which is alike zenda framework based on MVC pattern. It's another update Phalcon 2.0 is released in April 2015 which usability, features and high performance has made it quickest to enter in the top 5 list of Cake PHP frameworks. Not only this it has a Micro frame work which is created to handle small projects with higher speed.
Symfony: Debuted in year 2005, October 18, Symfony is a free PHP framework which owns a set of components and libraries which can be used again and again.
Top 5 Micro PHP Framework
Slim: Slim is the Most powerful Micro PHP framework Developed by Josh Lockhart. Slim has many features like powerful router, lot of helper methods which makes caching easier along with simple and easy request and response abstraction
lumen: Lumen is developed by the team who developed Laravel, Hence, this famework includes many Laravel components. So if you had worked on laravel you can easily work on lumen.
Silex: It has to packages/versions One is Fat "It includes all features like a template engine and database abstraction" and second is Slim, it includes a routing engine. Although Silex is a a micro-framework made to handel small projects but you can chose any of the two Fat or Slim versions to extend it into full MVC Famework.
Phalcon "micro-stack version of the full-stack Phalcon framework" A high speed latest micro framework which also have a full-stack framework version described above.
Wave: Wave Debuted in year 2012 developed by Kristo Vaher, it follows MVC architecture and Factory Method design pattern, it's approach of API is very different which make it different from the other micro-stack frameworks.
Using these frameworks, you can ease your PHP development process. Before you decide on a framework for your PHP project, assess your requirements carefully and go for the one that best fits your project needs.
Have you ever used a PHP framework before? If yes, which framework you used, or which is your favorite PHP framework? Do you want to add more to what's already been discussed? Please share your views in the comment box below.