Database administrator is the parent and guardian of DBMS. The person having the central control over the database system is called Database Administrator (DBA). Database Administrator is an IT expert or a well trained computer literate person who is responsible for the technical operations of a database or all databases in an organization. In reality Database Administrator is not a single person rather it is a department or a team.
Database Administrator should have an excellent knowledge of computer and organization structure. The Database Administrator has many different responsibilities but the overall goal of a Database Administrator is to maintain the database system and to provide users with access to the required information when they need it. The Database Administrator make sure that the database is protected and that any chance of data loss is minimize.
ROLES/RESPONSIBILITIES OF DBA
1. Granting different types of authorization to regulate which parts of the database various users can access.
2. Ensuring regular and accurate update of the database
3. Identifying and resolving user’s problem.
4. Schema and physical organization modification.
5. Storage structure and access method definition, processing and maintaining database software and related documents and tools.